Tuesday, July 18, 2006

the recital loometh

and the blog languisheth.

When I was living in the U.S., I performed a lot. I had a "job" (nothing that pays as little as this did deserves to be called a job without the quotation marks) in an orchestra, a chamber ensemble that played fairly often, and I had been living in one place long enough that I was on most of the concert organizers' radar for various ad-hoc kinds of gigs. I was doing solo recitals also, of course, but they weren't my sole performing outlet.

Here, on the other hand, I don't have an orchestra, I don't have a chamber group, and I have yet to be called for a single gig. This situation has allowed me to program two truly massive recitals so far, and I'm planning a third for November. It has also allowed me to reach an unprecedented level of preparation freakout. T minus three weeks and counting. This really isn't healthy.

No comments: