Wednesday, February 15, 2006

legal once again

We're back from Singapore. We've got new visas. All is well in immigration land.

Father-in-Law sent us a really scary online news item about people who have visa problems in the U.S. Evidently we had it easy.

While on the trip I was able to get a little work coaching Singaporean secondary school students who play in their school bands. It's not my favorite kind of work, but I think it was OK. I am never sure what, exactly, is expected of me at these events. At one of them I had 31 students of widely varying skill levels, and 2 vast hours of time in which to impart my wisdom. The way I see it, I've got three options:
  • Start from the beginning (the correct way to put your instrument together without breaking it). This would engage the beginners and bore the high achievers.
  • Focus on the advanced students, teaching them good finger technique, embouchure skills, and efficient practicing models. This does the opposite, leaving the beginners in the dust.
  • Teach to the imaginary middle: too advanced for the beginners, too easy for the advanced students. This alienates everyone.
Guess which one I, in my infinite wisdom, chose?

I actually tried to vary things as much as I could, and to couch things in language that could help everyone. It's not for nothing that I learned what a "spiral curriculum" is. I don't have any idea how well I succeeded. I guess I'll find out when I get asked back...or not.

The only thing that I'm sure went well was the performing I did. I played some very modern music (3 pieces, all composed in the 1990s) by pomo (are we in po-pomo yet? 'cause that's what I'd really like to call them) composers who are trying to combine two musical traditions. This is quite a hobbyhorse for me and I think I explain it well. The only question is, does it matter? Do the students hear anything besides "danger, Will Robinson! Weird music!"

Anyway, Singapore was great as always, although our attempts at tourism were notably less successful than last time. A few highlights:

Our map of Singapore showed a public aquarium. We arrived at where it should be and found nothing. Eventually we learned it was torn down over 10 years ago. We wound up getting drenched, as the rain (which, in its imminence, was the reason we decided on an indoor activity in the first place) really got going.

I remember going to a botanical garden or orchid garden that was really interesting and beautiful. We went to what we thought was the place, and...not so much. I have to think we were at some other orchid garden that's trying to capitalize on dumb tourists like us who think they're the big public one. This was essentially a big nursery that charges $3.00 for the privilege of coming in and shopping for plants. Fabulous.

No comments: