Friday, June 09, 2006

the rockets' red glare

I heard them before I saw them. Pops, booms, bangs. Since the party has definitely started (the 60th anniversary of the King's ascension to the throne), I suspected that there might be fireworks afoot. I headed out to the balcony, still hearing them, and started to look around. On most holidays, we can see distant fireworks displays from our balcony, but I've never seen anything like this.

All across the sky, far enough away that they were just above the horizon, at least six or seven different simultaneous fireworks displays. Everywhere I looked, they were going off. The entire horizon was lit up. As soon as one rocket faded, another would catch my eye in a different place. And on top of that, there was some truly spectacular lightning in the distance. It was amazing. This continued for a while, and then I got a real treat:

Avid readers will recall that the police station (source of the very loud public music) is directly across the street from our apartment. They've set up a big party area on their grounds, with a stage and a huge likeness of the King, not to mention the obligatory bright lights and loud music. After a stirring rendition of the King's anthem, they started on their own local fireworks display. I had the best seat in the house.

There are four more days and nights of partying ahead--I look forward to them.

No comments: