Wednesday, August 16, 2006

for inspired journaling

Notebooks with cute pictures and English phrases on the front are very popular here. Usually the pictures are of Japanese cartoon characters (or original designs that look like Japanese cartoon characters) and the text says something like "Happy is friend I feel. Life for love." Mushy sentiment, questionable syntax. I'd imagine that many of the items sold in the U.S. with Chinese or Japanese characters on them (and, I've heard, the tattoos that people get) mangle those languages in the same way. Anyway, one notebook stood out from the rest. I just had to buy it.

The picture is a series of photographs of a stuffed dog wearing a powder blue track suit and standing on its hind legs. There are ten poses, each about an inch high. The dog waving. The dog sad. The dog with a fanny pack. The dog with a giant plush bone. I'm not sure what the dog is supposed to be doing in some of them.

The eleventh picture is about four times larger. It is clearly the centerpiece. It shows the dog standing on its hind legs, wearing only the top half of the track suit. Its front paws are clasped in front of it, and it is standing before a toilet and turning to grin at the photographer. The text reads as follows:

Whenever I wrap the urine with
the trouser, too ashamed.
I am tiny unpleasantly.
A tear lot hates,
but I have a dream to want to
consist surely.
It is secret what I dream right now.
I have important dream.

No comments: