Friday, January 20, 2006

yes! they're getting the idea

So apparently the performance of Beethoven 5 went well. I think my students finally get the idea that if they are worried about something or need help with something, they should ask me.
Why, just today a student knocked on my door to ask for some help with his band music, a full five minutes before his rehearsal! That's planning ahead, I tell you.

In the past their approach has been to wait for me to bring it up, which is a losing proposition since I generally don't know the problem exists. My predecessor was much more involved with my students' musical lives than I am--he played in their ensembles, including the school ensembles. It didn't do much for him as an authority figure, but it did mean no one ever had to ask him for help--he heard them in every rehearsal and was able to help them out on the spot.

Just another piece of evidence showing that I am not him.

No comments: