Wednesday, December 27, 2006

raw octopus with a side of puppy

When I was performing in West Side Story a few months back, I had lunch with several members of the violin section. As I mentioned before, the concertmaster was Japanese, and he was employed by the touring company, while the rest of the section was Thai and was employed just for the run in Bangkok.

Well, the concertmaster got to talking about all the foods he'd eaten while on the tour. He said he thinks Chinese people eat really weird food (and at this point my unruly inner monologue couldn't help but think, "Dude! You're from Japan."), and went on to say that while in China he'd eaten a scorpion (my inner monologue conceded the weirdness of that, but failed to come up with a relative weirdness score for scorpion versus, say, pickled sea cucumber). But now he was coming to his real point, which was that he'd recently learned that some people in Thailand eat dogs. He couldn't believe it! Fuzzy, friendly, companionable dogs. How could anyone eat a puppy?

At this point the two Thai guys at the table started to giggle. One of them admitted to enjoying a meal of dog now and then, and the concertmaster was horrified.

"Not a doggy! But I love doggy!"

The giggle dam burst, and the Thai guys started laughing out loud. One of them replied, rubbing his stomach,

"So do we!"

1 comment:

Sharon L. Holland said...

I don't know that I could muster up an appetite for one, but if I were hungry enough, the family pet mights start to look different...