Thursday, November 23, 2006

i'm scratching my head here

My students have really different ideas than I do about when to show up for things.

When Husband and I got back from New Zealand, there was still about a week left before the start of the new semester. We both headed into our offices to make our preparations. The very first day back, I saw one of my students. He was so happy to see me! He said, "Ajarn, I have been coming to your office every day of this holiday. I have been looking for you every day." I asked, "Didn't you get my email that I'd be out of the office until today, and that if you needed me you should send an email?" He responded, "Yes."

They continue to believe that I understand no Thai at all, and when someone doesn't show up for a rehearsal or class they talk amongst themselves about what story to cook up for me. Someone volunteers that the missing student is downstairs eating; someone else says that they should tell me he's sick; I chime in, in Thai, to let them know I've understood the whole exchange. All of them collapse in horrified giggles. Every. Single. Time.

A student informed me this week that she would never be able to come to my 12:00 class. Why? Because she has a class that ends at 11:50 and another one that starts at one. So as I could plainly see (?), there was absolutely no way she could squeeze in another class. I told her I'd see her in class.

A group of students is entering an ensemble competition this week. Yesterday they asked me if they could ALL skip my pedagogy class to rehearse. When I said no, they acted extremely hurt. Turns out, they didn't want just to skip class--they wanted me to cancel class so I could help them practice.

This is after weeks and weeks of this exchange:
  • Ajarn, can you help us?
  • Sure! Just tell me what time you're going to rehearse and I'll be there.
  • Don't know. I tell you again. ("again" is what they always say instead of "later")
  • silence
Well, when I refused to cancel class, they talked me into staying at work to hear their evening rehearsal. The plan was, they were going to come to my office and fetch me when they were ready. According to plan, one of them showed up. She said they were ready, BUT two of the six members of the group were nowhere to be found. I said, OK, I'll hear you without them. She led me to their rehearsal room. There was no one there. There were no chairs set up. There were no music stands. There were no instruments. This was not a room that was ready for a rehearsal, even a two-thirds-strength rehearsal.

I went home.

She told me they were practicing again at 8 this morning; I told her I'd be there. We'll see.

No comments: